|Posted on October 22, 2015 at 8:45 PM||comments (2)|
1. You are not alone. It takes a village to raise a child. Find a support group for yourself and if you have any other children you have that don’t have special needs.
2. You too deserve to be cared for. Don’t feel guilty about taking time for yourself.
3. You aren’t perfect—and that’s ok!
4. Therapy is play. Play is therapy. – make learning fun
5. Make time to enjoy your kids – enjoy the season that you are in. God has prepared you to parent your child; he has given them to you because you are enough and are capable of parenting him/her.
6. You will be obligated to make heart wrenching decisions.
7. You won’t always get it right.
8. Forgive yourself.
9. Being a parent is hard. Being a parent to a child with extra needs is extra hard.
10. Parenting a child with extra needs is like a marathon.
11. Don’t lose yourself
12. Keep your sense of humor. Learn to laugh, it's great therapy.
13. Celebrate the little things! Your child milestones are different than a typical child. Celebrate your child victories..
14. Don’t let typical parents get you down.
15. Don’t compare.
16. Do your research. Before enrolling your child in therapy make sure it’s scientifically proven to be effective.
17. Make time for your marriage. Marriage is hard work, period. Schedule a date with your spouse at least once a month..
18.Trust your instincts.
19. Advocate- it is important that you advocate for your child.